A few months ago, my husband’s employer filed his H1B extension, which was approved through 2027. They did not apply for my H-4 extension. After his case was approved, we both travelled to India and then returned to the U.S. I just noticed that, upon our return, the officers granted me an I-94 through 2027, even though my visa stamp is only valid through July 2024. Was this an error? Do I need to file an extension?


This was not an error, and there is no need for you to file an extension. Normally, as long as the H-4 dependent has a valid visa “stamp” at the time of admission, the dependent may be admitted through the validity period of the principal spouse’s H1B petition. (01.May.2024)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2024, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.