I was laid off by my previous employer almost two months ago. I recently got a new job offer, but the new employer will not be able to file my petition before my grace period expires. Therefore, the employer said they are going to file my case for consular processing. In the meantime, I will leave before my grace period ends. The H1B visa stamp in my passport is still valid. If they file this for consular processing, does it mean I have to go to the consulate?


If you have a facially valid H1B visa, there typically would be no need to go to the consulate. You can request readmission based on the existing visa and the approved petition from the new employer. (01.May.2024)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2024, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.