I have an H1B visa in my Indian passport. I recently became an Australian citizen. Is it possible to transfer the visa to my Australian passport, or to travel based on the visa that is in my Indian passport?


Unfortunately, no. There generally is no way to transfer a U.S. visa from one passport to another. In situations where you simply renew a passport issued by the same country, and you have a valid visa in your old passport, it normally is possible to travel with both the expired passport containing the valid visa and your new passport. But this normally is not permitted if the new passport is issued by a different country. (10.Jul.2024)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2024, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.