Can my employer start my green card processing while I am on OPT?


Yes, a company can start a GC for someone on F-1/OPT. This does not disrupt the F-1/OPT status. But, for people from India, it is normally going to be necessary to change into H1B or some other work authorized status at some point to bridge the time between OPT and the GC. (24.Aug.2015)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.