I am have 7 months of OPT time left. Can my employer sponsor me for a green card? If so, can I remain in the U.S. until the green card is issued?


An employer could start the GC process for a person in F-1/OPT, but there is not enough time to complete the process with only 7 months of OPT left. The PERM LC could get filed in that time, but not approved. Once your OPT is complete, you would need to either leave the United States or find some other means of staying here while the GC case is processing. But, the case can continue whether or not you are in the U.S. (09.May.2016)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2016, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.