I am on J-1 and am subject to a 2-year home residency requirement. Can I apply for a national interest waiver (NIW) instead of a Conrad 30?


The NIW and the J-1 (Conrad) waivers serve two different purposes. The NIW is a green card filing that waives the requirement of a PERM labor in the GC process. The Conrad 30 waives the J-1 2-year home residency requirement (HRR) for physicians. People subject to the 2-yr HRR need to get that waived (or comply) in order to change to H1B or get a GC. (06.Jun.2016)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2016, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.