I have been working in H1B for 3 years, but am now changing to F-1 status to get a degree in a completely different field. After graduating, would I then need to go through the lottery again to return to H1B?


No, if one has been counted against the H1B cap, moving to a different field of work would not make the person cap-subject. As long as the six years of H1B time have not been fully utilized, the person typically still would remain cap exempt. (04.Dec.2017)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2017, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.