My application to become a U.S. citizen is pending, and my green card will soon expire. Citizenship is in process, if green card expires, is there a quick process to get a temporary extension on green card?


Ordinarily, if your green card is going to expire within six months of applying for naturalization (form N-400), you are expected to also apply for an I-90 (green card renewal). If you have applied for naturalization more than 6 months before the expiration of your green card, and you are now nearing the expiration and your interview has not yet been scheduled, then you should schedule an InfoPass appointment at the local USCIS office to request an I-551 stamp for your passport. That stamp can serve as temporary proof of your permanent resident status (for work and travel purposes) while you are waiting for your N-400 to be approved. (02.Apr.2018)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2018, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.