I’m in H1B status right now, but want to move to F-1 status to get a master’s degree. When I’m done with that program, can I then return to H1B status?


One generally could change status to F-1 student, complete one’s education, and then have an employer file an H1B petition to “recapture” the remainder of the 6 years of H1B time. (16.Apr.2018)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2018, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.