Do I need to be in F-1 status for a full year to be eligible for OPT, or can I study for a portion of that time in H-4 status?


One can qualify for OPT after one year of full-time study in any status (as long as s/he is in F-1 status at the time the OPT application is filed). (14.May.2018)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2018, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.