If I graduate from an online master’s program, will I be eligible to apply under the H1B master’s cap next year?


The requirements for the H1B master’s quota are straightforward – the degree must be from a U.S. university, and the university must be a public college, or a nonprofit college. One cannot use a degree from a for-profit college to apply under the master’s quota. There is no restriction on using an online degree, if the other requirements are met. (However, remember that purely online degrees are NOT acceptable for maintaining F-1 student status.) (29.Apr.2019)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2019, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.