I am in H-4 status and my H1B petition was approved for consular notification. Do I have to go to my home country to get my H1B visa stamp?


Normally, one can apply for a visa “stamp” in any country, outside the U.S., where one is physically present. However, check the consulate’s website before traveling, as some have unique rules for third-country nationals. Also, if you apply at a consulate other than the one listed on the I-129 petition, it may take a bit longer for the consulate to verify the legitimacy of the approval notice, which must be done before the visa can be issued. (20.May.2019)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2019, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.