I was in the U.S. in H1B status previously and I have an approved I-140. I am currently living in India. I applied for a job in the U.S., and the company wishes for me to come in for an in-person interview. What type of visa can I apply for, and what documents do I need from the U.S. company?


Assuming that the company has not yet filed an H1B petition, the proper visa for one in this situation would normally be a B-1/B-2 “visitor” visa. This type of visa is not “sponsored.” However, a letter from the company, on company letterhead, inviting one to the interview, might be helpful when applying for the visa “stamp” at the U.S. consulate. (17.Jun.2019)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2019, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.