I received a green card through my employer about a year ago. The employer wants to change the terms of employment, but I do not like the proposed changes. If I resign, does my employer have the ability to cancel my green card?


Once a green card is issued, the sponsoring employer has no ability to cancel or revoke it. If a person leaves an employer immediately after being issued the green card, this could create problems with the USCIS. But, given that a year has passed and the reason for the job change is that the employer wishes to change the terms of employment, leaving the employer at this point typically would not create any immigration concerns. (14.Aug.2019)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2019, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.