I have been working as a manager for a company in India for two years. I am now being transferred to the U.S. subsidiary to work as a manager in H1B status. Do I need to move to L1A status to be able to file for EB1 as a manager/executive? If the company does not want to sponsor me for EB1, can I sponsor myself?


One does not need to be in L1A status in order to be sponsored for an EB1(c) multinational executive or manager position. But, the EB1(c) petition must be sponsored by the employer. The only type of EB1 case that can be self-sponsored is EB1(a), which is for for foreign nationals who can demonstrate extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics. (28.Aug.2019)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2019, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.