My son and I became green card holders nearly 5 years ago. I am about to apply for U.S. citizenship. Do I need to file a separate application for my son?


Generally speaking, children under 18 automatically acquire U.S. citizenship if three requirements are met: (1) The child must have U.S. lawful permanent resident status (“green card” holder); (2) at least one parent must be a U.S. citizen by birth or naturalization; and (3) the child must be residing in the United States in the legal and physical custody of a U.S. citizen parent. If all three requirements are met prior to the child’s 18th birthday, the minor child automatically becomes a U.S. citizen. No further action is necessary. But, as a safeguard, it is often recommended that the child apply for a certificate of citizenship by filing form N-600 and/or the child may apply for a U.S. passport. (28.Aug.2019)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2019, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.