I was born in the U.S., but my family moved back to India when I was still a baby. I am now 21, and I have not been back to the U.S. since. Do I have any options of getting my U.S. citizenship back? Or some form of U.S. residency?


Unless you voluntarily renounced your U.S. citizenship (which typically involves a formal process at a U.S. consulate or embassy), you very probably are still a U.S. citizen. A parent cannot renounce U.S. citizenship on behalf of a child; and, “children under 16 are presumed not to have the requisite maturity and knowing intent” required to voluntarily renounce. If you have a birth certificate showing you were born in the U.S., you likely can just apply for a U.S. passport, which then can be used to enter the U.S. (and serves as proof of U.S. citizenship. (19.Sep.2019)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2019, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.