If I earn a PhD, can I then sponsor myself for a green card under the EB1 category?


The EB1(a) category is reserved for foreign nationals who can demonstrate extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics. A PhD is not required to qualify, nor is a PhD sufficient. While having a PhD is a notable accomplishment, it does not really prove that a person is at the top of a particular field. To demonstrate this, one typically would need to show either one major accomplishment (e.g., Nobel Prize), or, more commonly, numerous pieces of evidence (e.g., authorship of scholarly articles in professional publications) that show the individual has achieved and sustained national or international acclaim. (02.Oct.2019)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2019, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.