I was laid off from my H1B job a few weeks ago, so I filed for a change of status to B-2. I now have a new company willing to sponsor me for an H1B position. Can I start working as soon as the petition is filed?


If you are still within your 60-day grace period, you generally could start working for the new employer upon the filing of the H1B change-of-status petition. The fact that you filed an application to change status to B-2 should not impact your eligibility, assuming it is still pending. Once the H1B change of status is filed, you likely will want to immediately withdraw the pending B-2 application. (07.May.2020)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2020, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.