I was in H-4 status based on my father’s H1B. I have been studying in university and, shortly before I turned 21, I filed an application to change to F-1 status. That application is still pending, and it appears I may graduate before my F-1 is approved. Can I transfer to a master’s program based on the pending F-1 change of status application?


No, unfortunately, it typically is not possible to update a pending F-1 change-of-status application based on a new program of study. Assuming you have already turned 21 (and therefore are no longer eligible for H-4 status through a parent), filing a new application to change to F-1 status also may not be a viable option. I recommend you schedule a consultation with an attorney who can review your situation in greater detail and determine what options may be available. (20.Jul.2022)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2022, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.