I was working in H1B status, and then went back to my home country due to an emergency. It has been about seven months, and I now wish to return to my H1B position in the U.S. My visa stamp is still valid, and my employer is supporting this. Is there anything special I need to carry due to my prolonged absence?


There are no special requirements for returning to an H1B position after an extended trip abroad. That being said, it may be a good idea to carry an updated letter from the employer verifying that the H1B position is still available. (26.Oct.2022)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2022, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.