I am in H-4 status, and my I-94 will expire in a few months. I also have a pending I-485. Am I required to extend my H-4?


Ordinarily, it is possible to remain in the U.S. based on a pending I-485 application. So, it typically is not required to extend one’s underlying nonimmigrant status. However, if the person has not maintained nonimmigrant status and the I-485 is denied, this typically means the person must leave the United States. (02.Feb.2023)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2023, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.