I was laid off from my H1B position, and during my grace period, I applied for a change to B-2 status. That application is still pending. I now have to travel back to India for few weeks for personal reasons. I just found a company willing to sponsor me for a new H1B position. I asked the company to file the petition for consular processing, as I have a valid H1B visa stamp from my previous employer. The new employer told me that I would need to get another visa stamp because I overstayed, and therefore my existing stamp is invalid. Is that correct, or did my change of status application protect me from overstaying?


If you filed the application to change status prior to the end of your grace period, this likely would have placed you in a period of authorized stay. Assuming you leave the U.S. while that application is still pending and return with a valid H1B petition and an unexpired passport and H1B visa “stamp,” this generally would be sufficient to request readmission in H1B status.  (28.Dec.2023)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2023, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.