I am in H1B status, and my family is in H-4. Our I-94s were all extended through 2027, but our visa stamps expired last year. My wife and kids wish to travel to India for a few weeks. Can they go for stamping, even though I plan to stay in the U.S., or do I have to apply first?


Generally speaking, if the principal spouse is in valid H1B status, it is possible for the dependents to apply for H-4 visa “stamps.” There normally is no need for the H1B worker to obtain a new H1B visa unless and until s/he will be traveling internationally. (02.Jul.2024)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2024, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.