Sheela Murthy is featured in The New York Times, The Daily Beast, and a blog and video by The Story Exchange. Read more.
Founder and president of the Murthy Law Firm, Sheela Murthy completed her Master of Laws (LL.M.) from Harvard Law School, and has been admitted to practice as an attorney in New York, Maryland, and the U.S. Supreme Court. Located in Baltimore County, Maryland, her firm of approximately 85 professionals concentrates in the area of U.S. immigration law. Murthy practiced with major law firms in New York and Baltimore before launching her own firm in 1994, then known as the Law Office of Sheela Murthy.
Murthy often travels to meet with senior officials of U.S. consulates abroad, as well as the different USCIS service centers in the U.S., to discuss policies and procedures. This enables the Murthy Law Firm to better serve and advocate for its clients. She is fluent in French and Hindi.
Murthy presents papers and speaks on complex immigration law issues before the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) and other national and international organizations, including the International Bar Association in London and the Center for International Legal Studies in Salzburg. She is a past member of the Board of Trustees (2002-2009) and, for a number of years, co-chaired the American Immigration Council (AIC)’s Annual Immigrant Achievement Awards, which selects, recognizes, and honors outstanding immigrants who have made notable contributions to American life. The Murthy Law Firm continues to be a generous sponsor of that annual event.
A regularly featured writer, sharing information with her colleagues on consular matters and other immigration law topics, Murthy is often called upon by television network affiliates and newspapers to discuss immigration law, she is also featured in many international publications for her worldwide practice, for her leadership in the business community, and for her philanthropic work. She and her firm have been awarded the AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell. This is the highest rating for lawyers and represents a measure of esteem for which attorneys strive. It recognizes Murthy for her outstanding legal abilities, acknowledged by her peers, and signifies the highest professional ethics and conduct.
Notable among her many awards and honors over the years:
- Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year (2009)
- 500/5000, Murthy Law Firm among the fastest growing private companies in America (2010)
- Leadership in Law Award, The Daily Record
- Who’s Who Legal as an internationally-recognized business / corporate immigration lawyer (2007)
- Top 25 lawyers in Baltimore-Washington, Baltimore Business Journal (1999)
- Best Lawyers® in America (since 2016)
- Maryland Super Lawyer (since 2007)
- Philanthropist of the Year, Toquille Society, United Way (2009) for her pledge of $1 million
- Clementine Peterson Award for Philanthropy, United Way of Central Maryland (2014)
- 40 Under 40 Emerging Business Leaders (2001)
- 20 Most-Admired CEOs in Maryland
- 50 Most Influential Marylanders (2012)
- Circle of Excellence of the Top 100 Women (2007)
She serves on numerous boards, sharing her time and business acumen to strengthen area nonprofits and other organizations. Currently, Murthy serves on the following boards, councils, and committees:
- Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA), Eastern Region, Board of Directors, since 2011
- JHPIEGO, Board of Advisors, an affiliate of Johns Hopkins, since 2010
- Maryland Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors, since 2010; Chair 2015-2017
- MurthyNAYAK Foundation, Founder and Board of Directors, since 2001
- Women’s Business Council, Board of Advisors, since 2006
- ASHA for Women, Washington D.C., Board of Advisors, since 2009
- Pratham D.C., Board of Directors, since 2010
- TiE (The Indus Entrepreneurs) D.C. Chapter, President Elect 2017; Board of Directors, since 2012
- IT Serve Alliance, Legal Advisor, since May 2016
A member of several legal and professional organizations, Murthy is active in the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), and has been on the Executive Committee of the Washington D.C. Chapter of AILA. Prior to this, she was chair of the Liaison Committee to the Department of Labor for Maryland, Virginia, and Washington D.C. for the AILA D.C. Chapter. She continues to be a leader in the organization.
Among Murthy’s past service to boards, councils, and committees:
- Harvard Law School, Dean’s Advisory Council, Cambridge, MA, (2009-2012)
- Maryland India Business Round Table, Global Business Advisory Board (2010-2014)
- Bar Association of Baltimore City, Executive Committee (YLS)
- United Way Worldwide, Chair, Leadership Council for India (2008-2015)
- Girl Scouts of Central Maryland, Board of Directors (2007-2014)
- South Asian Americans Leading Together (SAALT), Council of Advisors in Tacoma Park, MD (2000-2014)
- United Way of Central Maryland, Board of Directors (2009-2015)
- Stevenson University, Board of Trustees (2008-2017)