I am on OPT and will be filing for H1B this year. If the case is approved, will I need to go for stamping? If not, can my dependent still go for stamping, since she is outside the U.S.?


In general, a visa “stamp” is only required for purposes of reentering the U.S. after foreign travel. Otherwise, one can change status within the U.S. One’s dependent typically should be able to receive an H-4 “stamp” in this scenario. (09.Jan.2017)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2017, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.