I am on OPT and my F-1 visa has expired. If I travel outside the U.S. will I need to get a new F-1 visa to reenter?


Yes, to enter on F-1 OPT, a valid visa “stamp” is typically required (with the limited exception of travel to Canada or Mexico under the automatic visa revalidation rule). (21.Aug.2017)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2017, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.