I am waiting for my oath ceremony in order to naturalize. Also, my green card is about to expire. I have a family emergency and need to travel to India immediately. What options do I have to return with no issues? Will this impact my naturalization case?


If you have an emergency need to travel, you can try to obtain a temporary I-551 stamp in your passport at the local USCIS office. It typically is okay to travel while waiting for one’s naturalization oath ceremony, but you need to inform the USCIS of that additional travel on the day of the ceremony. (05.Mar.2018)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2018, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.