I am in H-4 status and am enrolled in university. How can I transfer to F-1 status?


In order to change from H-4 to F-1, one would need to obtain an I-20 from the university’s designated school official (DSO), then apply for a change of status (form I-539) with the USCIS. Keep in mind that one must be in valid status both at the time of filing and at the time of adjudication. Therefore, it is important to make sure that there is enough time remaining on one’s current H-4 status to allow for USCIS processing time. (20.Aug.2018)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2018, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.