I am in H-4 status, and am about to graduate with a master’s degree from an online university that is public and accredited. Can I qualify to file an H1B under the master’s cap?


One who has received a master’s degree or above from a nonprofit, accredited university normally would be eligible to file under the “master’s cap.” This applies, even if all the credits are taken through online courses. (There is a strict limit on the number of online courses one may take while in F-1 status, but this does not apply to those in H-4 status, and is unrelated to qualifying for the master’s cap.) (17.Dec.2018)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2018, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.