My husband is working in the U.S. in H1B status. I want to visit him periodically, but I need to stay in my home country most of the time because I am still at university. Can I apply for an H-4 visa, even though my trips will be fairly short? Or should I instead apply for a B-2 visa?


Normally, there is no issue with the spouse of an H1B worker traveling back and forth using an H-4 visa, even for short trips to the U.S. It is possible to do this with a B-2 visa, as well; but, unlike B-2 visitors, a person traveling on H-4 is allowed to have dual-intent. So, as a general rule, a person frequently traveling using an H-4 visa is less likely to run into problems at the port of entry than someone who is traveling on a B-2 visa. (16.Oct.2019)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2019, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.