I am in H1B status, and my wife and child are in H-4. My employer asked me to travel to India for three weeks to provide some training at the parent company. Can my wife and child stay in the U.S. for the duration of my trip?


The USCIS may limit, deny, or refer for removal an H-4 dependent who is not primarily intended for the purpose of being with the principal worker in the United States. Further, USCIS officers may adjudicate applications for dependent stays in order to prevent an H1B nonimmigrant from using only occasional work visits to the United States in order to “park” the family members in the United States for extended periods while the principal alien is normally absent.

However, per a 2006 USCIS memo, “… an H1B or L-1 worker who appropriately brings his or her family to the United States may from time to time be stationed temporarily outside the United States while leaving the family in the United States for purposes of continuity in schooling or similar arrangements.” (27.Nov.2019)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2019, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.