My I-140 priority date is current, but I am not in the U.S. Can I still file my I-485? If so, do I file it at the consulate?


Generally speaking, one must be in the United States in valid status to file an I-485. Otherwise, one typically would apply for an immigrant visa at a U.S. consulate.

An I-485 is not used when applying for an immigrant visa at a consulate. Depending on the circumstances, it may be necessary to file form I-824 with the USCIS to convert the case from adjustment of status to consular processing. (24.Sep.2020)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2020, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.