I completed a U.S. masters while on H-4. Can I qualify for the master’s cap, or do I have to be in F-1 to qualify?


Assuming the master’s was issued by a public university or other nonprofit institution that is accredited, yes, you likely qualify. There is no requirement that one be in F-1 status in order to qualify for the master’s cap.  (02.Feb.2022)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2022, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.