I am a U.S. citizen, and just turned 21. I would like to sponsor my parents for green cards; but as a full-time student my income is limited. Any options to still sponsor them?


In completing an I-864 Affidavit of Support form, the individual sponsoring a family member for permanent residence normally must demonstrate income at a level equal to or above 125 percent of the federal poverty guideline level. If the sponsor does not have a sufficient annual income, there are alternatives for meeting the I-864 requirements. For example, when sponsoring one’s spouse, it may be possible to include the income of the sponsored spouse to evidence that the income criteria has been met, assuming this income will continue after the beneficiary becomes a permanent resident. Another common option is using joint financial sponsors who are USCs or LPRs who can establish sufficient income levels. It also is potentially possible to rely upon certain assets in lieu of income. (25.May.2022)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2022, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.