I am currently working in H1B status. A few years ago, my U.S. citizen brother sponsored me for a green card. Since I am in the U.S., will that help my case move any faster?


Being in the U.S. would typically not impact the wait time for an immigrant visa. If you happen to be in H1B status when the I-130 is approved and your priority date is current, you could file for adjustment of status (form I-485), as opposed to applying through the consulate. But, other than that, the process would generally be the same.  (06.Jul.2023)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2023, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.