I am a green card holder and am traveling overseas for a work assignment. I am in the process of filing a form I-131 application for a reentry permit. Am I allowed to travel while that application is pending?


A green card holder generally must be in the U.S. when the reentry permit application is filed, and typically must be here to provide biometrics. However, they generally can then depart the U.S. while the application is pending without impacting the pending case. (18.Jan.2024)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2024, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.