I am in H1B status with a pending I-485 application. I just received my EAD card based on my pending I-485. Do need to switch my work authorization to my EAD?


Generally, no. If you are maintaining H1B status, you are not required to start using your EAD, and you can keep the card as a backup. Once you start using your EAD, your H1B status terminates. And, in many, if not most, situations, we recommend that our client maintain their H1B status, when possible. (17.Apr.2024)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2024, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.