Can an H-4 extension be filed requesting premium processing?


There is no premium processing for an H-4 application or any nonimmigrant status requested using form I-539. The only way we try to get premium processing for an H-4 application is if it is filed concurrently with the principal’s H1B petition that is filed using premium processing. As a courtesy, the USCIS generally adjudicates both the H1B petition and the dependents’ I-539 applications using premium processing.

There is a method to request expedited processing of an H-4 extension (or nearly any other immigration benefit that does not allow for premium processing). Generally, the USCIS only uses its discretion to grant expedited processing, however, if the applicant can demonstrate a true emergency. More details on expedite requests are available in the 15.Sep.2014 MurthyDotCom NewsBrief, USCIS Guidance on Customer Service. (30.Oct.2017)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2017, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.