I am applying for an H-4 extension of status and an H-4 EAD renewal, but my passport expires in five months. Can the USCIS approve the extension and EAD beyond the passport validity date?


In general, yes. The shortened passport generally is an issue at the port of entry, where it will result in a short-duration I-94 (tied to the passport validity). But, the USCIS typically can grant an extension of status beyond the expiration date. The EAD expiration date will usually mirror that of the I-94 granted. (12.Feb.2018)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2018, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.