I am unable to get a birth certificate. Can I use affidavits instead for my I-485 application?


The Foreign Affairs Manual allows the use of a combination of a non-availability certificate, 2 affidavits and “secondary” evidence (like school leaving certificates) to substitute for a birth certificate that is unavailable or defective. (09.Apr.2018)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2018, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.