I am a U.S. citizen and filed an I-130 petition for my mother, which was just approved. Can my mother come to the U.S. now on her B-1/B-2 visa, and then file her I-485?


Generally speaking, no, this is not permitted. Entering the U.S in B-1/B-2 status with the preconceived intention to file for adjustment of status is considered to be fraudulent by the government. You may want to consult with an attorney to determine how best to proceed. (04.Mar.2019)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2019, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.