I was born in India, but moved to England at the age of 3 and became a British citizen. Is it possible to use my country of citizenship in applying for a green card?


Generally, one is counted against the country of birth (or spouse’s country of birth), not country of citizenship.

There are limited circumstances in which one’s country of citizenship can be used – typically, this occurs when the child is born in a country where neither parent resides. (e.g., Parents are temporarily visiting India, but neither parent was born in, or is a citizen of India.) But, the mere fact that a person left his or her country of birth at a young age would not be sufficient to allow for the use of country of citizenship. (01.Apr.2019)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2019, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.