I am a U.S. citizen, and I filed an I-130 for my mother. She would like to visit me on her B-2 visa for a few weeks. She has no desire to apply for adjustment of status, as she needs to go back to India to take care of some things before getting her green card. Is it ok for her to come on her B-2?


Technically speaking, there is no rule that prohibits a foreign national with an approved immediate relative I-130 petition from requesting admission in B-2 status. However, CBP has the discretion to deny admission based on immigrant intent. And, unless the individual can provide a compelling reason for the travel and strong evidence of intent to leave the U.S. following the temporary stay, there is a significant risk that CBP will not admit the individual. (08.Apr.2021)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2021, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.