I am in the U.S. on B-1/B-2. A few years ago, my sister, who is a U.S. citizen, sponsored me for an FB4 green card. My priority date will not be current for a number of years. Can I ask USCIS to expedite my case so that I can file an I-485 now and wait in the U.S. until the priority date becomes current?


It generally is not possible to file an I-485 application based on an I-130 petition when the priority date is not current. While the USCIS has the ability to expedite the processing of an I-130 petition, the ability to apply for adjustment of status in a family-based preference category is based on the priority date listed in the monthly visa bulletin. (15.Feb.2023)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2023, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.