I have been in L1A status for a few years, and my employer is about to start an EB2 PERM case for me. I did not work as a manager in India, so I do not qualify for EB1(c). Do I have to move to H1B to proceed with the EB2 case?


There is no conflict between being in L1A status and having a PERM case filed on one’s behalf.

Note, however, that the maximum amount of time a person may remain in L1A status is seven years. Unlike the H1B category, which allows a person to extend beyond the standard 6-year limit based on a pending green card case, there normally is no way to extend L1A status beyond the 7-year limit. (14.Jun.2023)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2023, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.