I am a U.S. citizen and I sponsored my mother for a green card. The consular post in Mumbai issued her an immigrant visa earlier this year, with an expiration date in October 2023. She entered on the visa a few weeks ago, but has not yet received her physical green card. Would it be best for her to wait for the green card before she travels internationally?


Once a person enters on an immigrant visa, the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer at the U.S. port of entry should have placed an I-551 stamp in the visa / passport, which serves as temporary evidence as status as a green card holder for up to one year. During that period, the individual generally may use that endorsement for purposes of travel. (21.Sep.2023)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2023, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.