When I was a green card holder, I sponsored my adult, unmarried daughter for a green card. I have since become a U.S. citizen. If my daughter marries, can her pending case be converted to the married daughter category?


Unfortunately, no. If your daughter marries now, the family-based, second preference “B” (FB2B) case you filed for her would no longer be approvable. Instead, generally, you would have to start from scratch with a family-based, third preference (FB3) case. (05.Jun.2024)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2024, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.