I am a U.S. citizen. Can I sponsor my mother for a green card while she is here on a visitor visa?


A U.S. citizen can sponsor his/her mother (or father), if she is already here on a B-2 visa, and she should be able to receive her “green card” without departing the United States. One’s parent should not come on a visitor visa with the intention of applying for a green card, however; this could be considered fraud. (19.Sep.2016)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2016, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.