I am a U.S. citizen and a full-time student. Can I sponsor my spouse who is on OPT?


Generally speaking, a U.S. citizen may sponsor an F-1/OPT spouse for a green card. Depending on the U.S. citizen’s finances, however, a joint financial sponsor (a friend or family member who is a U.S. citizen or green card holder) may be required. It may also be possible to use the F-1 spouse’s income, given that the employment is authorized. (10.Jul.2017)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2017, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.